Iâ€™m an entrepreneurial marketing, communications, and product leader with over 15 years of technology industry success built upon my ability to quickly recognize opportunities, a hands-on approach to ensuring results, and collaborative engagement with sales, engineering, customers, and influencers. My specialties include strategy development and complete execution of creative go-to-market programs that surpass goals and empower sales teams.
- Entrepreneurial:Â Developedâ€”and subsequently soldâ€”a smartphone app-based marketing startup that enabled small businesses to push distressed inventory to vacationers in real-time.
- Leadership:Â Served as interim head of marketing for several startups, creating structured marketing foundations, energizing lead gen, and enabling sales teams. Iâ€™m adept at working side-by-side with sales to develop and execute strategies that enable a rapid and sustainable achievement of revenue goals.
- Restart:Â Hired after an executive refresh to head all marketing and product management, I developed and executed the entire go-to-market strategy for a Big Data analytics startup, including product launches, sales enablement, and communications, quickly achieving broad awareness and generating a pipeline full of qualified leads.
- Pivot:Â Drove a B2B startupâ€™s marketing pivot from an undifferentiated software provider to a focused solution-selling machine, building awareness and respect across prospects, analysts, partners and competitors.
- Writing:Â Conceptualized and authored â€œBehavioral Analytics For Dummies.â€ Developed and wrote dozens of ebooks, white papers, articles and sales tools, and contribute to Huffington Post Hawaii and AlohaStartups.com.
Marketing Strategy Consultant, SFO+HNLÂ Â Â Â Â 12/10 â€“ Present
Complete MarCom Leadership, Strategy and Execution; Go-to-market Planning; Product Launches
- Created seed-stage (pre- and post-launch) marketing strategy and lead generation foundation, including messaging, collateral, event execution, and content development at Big Data and Cloud-based startups.
- Generated sales tools and campaigns to accelerate lead gen/nurturing processes, created deep-dive competitive analyses, and authored articles, blog posts, and white papers for several SaaS startups.
Foundation-building, Team Development, Execution, Content Creation
- Overhauled ad hoc, reactionary marcom functions and built a strategic team augmented by PR, ad, and design agencies for a solar PV startup supporting 20+ salespeople and $25M revenue during hyper-growth stage.
- Took over vacated marketing VP role to create and execute lead gen strategy, including content creation.
- Expanded and managed B2C marketing programs, contests, and promotions over the critical holiday period.
3D Travel, Honolulu, HIÂ Â Â Â Â 07/12 â€“ 03/13
VP, Marketing and Products
- Joined as 3D Travel acquired HulaCopter, a startup that I founded and grew during 2011-2012.
- Drove marketing and product innovation while also managing the post-acquisition integration of HulaCopter into 3D Travelâ€™s overall suite of hospitality marketing solutions, plus positioned and pitched HulaCopter’s mobile marketing platform into existing clients.
- Developed product and marketing strategies as company expanded to other destinations outside of Hawaii, San Francisco and Las Vegas, and to other industries outside of hospitality.
HulaCopter, Honolulu, HIÂ Â Â Â Â 03/11 â€“ 07/12 (Acquired)
- Created, launched, and grew an entirely new, app-based, mobile marketing service that enabled a real-time market for merchants to sell perishable inventory to travelers, and drew thousands of user to the service.
- Designed, drove development of, and launched iOS, Android, and web apps, including managing local and India-based development shops, managing quality control, and coordinating various technology vendors.
- Sold door-to-door into scores of merchants, built a team of field marketers, created collateral and programs to drive sales efforts, and developed training guides to ease customer on-boarding.
- Successfully pitched and negotiated terms of acquisition of the entire business operation while continuing the service and working with the acquirer (3D Travel) to integrate and expand the business model.
Quantivo, San Mateo, CAÂ Â Â Â 09/08 â€“ 12/10
Interim VP of Marketing
- Developed and executed company-wide marketing, communications, and lead gen strategies as company developed a novel approach to Big Data challenges in retail, marketing and web analytics.
- Defined sales targets, evaluated competitors, and developed go-to-market message and differentiators and infused through collateral, sales tools, communications, and social media programs.
- Drove over 12,600 leads in less than two years through innovative grass-roots awareness campaigns and creative lead gen programs, quickly propelling Quantivo from unknown to a recognized market force with a solid sales pipeline.
- Co-authored Behavioral Analytics For Dummies book; developed PR and lead gen strategy which generated over 3,000 leads in one quarter, several articles, and tremendous awareness across targeted and adjacent segments.
- Successfully launched Quantivo 4, generating positive, on-message press, analyst, and influencer coverage.
- Quickly refocused marketing efforts to take advantage of new opportunities in a fast-changing market by adjusting message and sales tools for a new audience and solution.
- Created and delivered sales pitch and product demos; served as company spokesperson for press, analyst, and speaking opportunities.
- Developed numerous white papers and articles, generated a substantial blog and Twitter following, and created videos and podcasts evangelizing our thought-leadership position.
Nextance, Redwood City, CA (now Versata)Â Â Â Â 04/05 â€“ 09/08
Director, Marketing & Product Management
- Drove the post-acquisition strategy and management of all marketing, product, engineering, and customer satisfaction for entire Nextance product line, with focus on maintaining existing revenues and quickly pivoting to meet revised product roadmap schedules and resource constraints.
- Re-imagined and re-launched all marketing, product, and lead gen strategies to leverage new financial and organizational backing, new sales methodologies, and synergies with acquirer’s complementary product lines.
Director, Product Marketing
- Moved Nextance from an undifferentiated position to a recognized leader in the contract management space by developing and executing a targeted marketing strategy, shifting from a broad product approach to a solution/value pitch. The internal and external rollouts included all-new messaging, sales tools, demos, marketing programs, thought-leadership, events, and press/analyst relations. The initiative included our most successful lead gen campaign ever, and resulted in positive coverage by all key influencers.
- Served as interim VP of Marketing during VP’s three-month leave of absence, providing overall marketing leadership while continuing to execute marketing initiatives. During that time, I successfully managed all traditional marketing functions, inside sales, and several external consultants through numerous strategic and personnel issues.
- Led a cross-functional marketing, product management, and services team in a product repackaging and re-pricing effort in response to changing market dynamics. By aligning the entire company around the new offerings, the effort significantly changed salesâ€™ ability to develop pipeline and reduce sales cycles, and accounted for more than 30% of revenue in the initiativeâ€™s first year while maintaining profit and license/service objectives.
- Successfully launched numerous new software products, including collateral creation, press/analyst briefings, sales training and tools, packaging, pricing, and development and presentation of product demos.
- Drove nearly 4,000 leads in â€˜06 (on $250k budget) plus 1,200 in the first half of â€™07 (with one white paper driving over 400 leads in three months) by developing strategy and content for creative lead gen campaigns, including webinars, white papers, podcasts, video demos, joint alliance initiatives, newsletters, and emails.
- Designed and led various strategic marketing initiatives, including regional user groups and advisory boards with key customers; the companyâ€™s first customer success assessments and ROI analysis program; and competitive analysis, including deal-level win/loss interviews with sales teams and prospects.
- 2006 Presidentâ€™s Award (employee of the year), 2007 Q1 Eagle Award (exceptional leadership).
Accenture, San Francisco, CAÂ Â Â Â 09/04 â€“ 04/05
- Managed strategic sourcing teams at a $10B energy company covering $1.6B in total spend, including total cost of ownership, market analysis, strategy development, and client change management. Client teams were comprised of cross-functional client stakeholders, enthusiastic and uncooperative, trained and novice.
- Identified and developed sourcing projects at a $6B retailer, working to position multi-million dollar opportunities with the client, and creating the team structure to achieve those savings.
- Researched and defined strategic global commodity futures for a $43B farm/construction machinery manufacturer, providing decision support for a procurement outsourcing analysis.
Management Strategy Consultant, San Francisco, CAÂ Â Â Â 09/03 â€“ 09/04
- Developed and executed a comprehensive marketing plan for a boutique consultancy with a specific focus on brand awareness, thought leadership, web presence, and lead generation, resulting in significant increases in campaign quality, web traffic, and response rates.
- Developed detailed industry analysis and marketing plan to position boutique strategy consultancy as a niche wine-industry solution provider, while concurrently driving sourcing programs at $450M Napa winery.
- Managed $250M in strategic sourcing projects at two energy companies by leading cross-functional client teams through supply chain analysis, assessments, and procurement.
Siebel Systems, San Mateo, CA (now Oracle)Â Â Â Â 07/01 â€“ 09/03
Change Management Team
- Developed new sales methodologies for 500+ global sales consultants supporting $400M+ in annual license revenue. Initiatives included internal process improvements, sales training and awareness programs, definition and measurement of sales effectiveness metrics, and training program execution.
- Drove the migration of sales consultants from a feature/function sell to a solution sell, including guiding sales teams to create prospect-specific messaging and financial justifications. Also included the planning, content development, and coordination of four-day training event for 500+ global consultants and alliance partners.
Product Marketing Manager / Product Manager â€“ Oil, Gas, and Chemicals
- Successfully created and executed marketing programs to surpass $40M sales goal for industry-specific suite, including collateral, product demonstrations, trainings, sales presentations, and new partner development.
- Hand-picked to join â€œCRM Strategy Team,â€ offering business process consulting to key customers. Successfully achieved goal of identifying and increasing up- and cross-sell opportunities at select customers.
- Coordinated and executed three week-long product training events for sales reps and partners, including event management and execution and rallying financial support and resources of key alliance partners.
FreeMarkets, Pittsburgh, PA (now Ariba) Â Â 07/99 â€“ 07/01
Vertical Team Leader â€“ Transportation
- Managed a seven-member team of consultants focused on market research and e-procurement for over $400M in transportation, logistics, and shipping contracts. Successfully achieved and maintained an average savings of 14 – 18% across commodity segments.
- Managed client-focused consulting teams executing e-auctions worth over $240M in various products and services, ultimately saving clients over $27M, or nearly 12%, annually.
The Carbide/Graphite Group, Pittsburgh, PA Â Â 04/94 â€“ 06/99
Business Development â€“ Graphite Specialties
- Increased annual revenues over 14% while managing sales and technical support across entire product line by consolidating and restructuring the entire product line to more closely match market requirements.
Process/Development Engineer â€“ Electrodes
- Managed development of $150M product line, including customer service, field trials, and technical sales support, while also supporting a $27M manufacturing process improvement project.
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA Â Â 05/01
- Master of Business Administration
- Concentrations: Marketing, E-commerce, Operations Management
University of Pittsburgh â€“ Johnstown, Johnstown, PA Â Â Â 05/93
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering Technology